AP.1.7 Re-enrollment After Previous Attendance
Undergraduate students who have missed one or more consecutive semesters must follow the requirements detailed in the Enrollment after Previous Attendance section in the Undergraduate Admission Policies section of the catalog.
AP.1.8 Undergraduate Leave of Absence
All undergraduate students who are planning an absence from George Mason must submit a formal request for Leave of Absence to the Office of the University Registrar. This form is available at http://registrar.gmu.edu/forms/.
Students do not need to complete the Leave of Absence form if they are participating in a George Mason University sponsored study abroad program or have received permission to study elsewhere.
A student must:
– Be eligible to register for classes
– Be a degree-seeking undergraduate student
– Be registered during the semester immediately prior to the beginning of the Leave of Absence
– Have no holds (e.g., disciplinary, financial, etc.) which would restrict registration
- The maximum time allowed for a Leave of Absence is two years.
- A new admission application will be required if a student is away for more than two academic years. Re-admission is not guaranteed.
- Prior approval is required. Advisors approve one-semester requests. Advisor and Dean approval is required if the leave of absence requested is for more than one semester.
- The Leave of Absence form must be submitted by the last day to drop for the semester in which a leave is requested.
- Students are not permitted to study elsewhere while on a Leave of Absence.
- A student who was admitted as a new first semester freshman or transfer student but did not attend will not be eligible for a Leave of Absence. Instead, he or she must contact the Office of Admissions.
- A student who was re-admitted but did not attend will not be eligible for a Leave of Absence. He or she must contact the Office of Admissions.
- Requests for extensions on a previously submitted Leave of Absence require submission of a new Leave of Absence form.