We are always looking for dedicated individuals who can help out at our various events. Please sign-up to be a volunteer by providing your e-mail below. We will contact our volunteer list roughly one week before an event. You can then reply to the message if you are able and willing to volunteer at that event.
Can I volunteer at the GMU Observatory?
- You should be 16+ years old or accompanied by a guardian.
- You should be comfortable interacting with our guests and answering simple questions. Also assisting the guests with directions and helping them get up to the telescope via our elevator or stairs.
- You may be asked to move chairs or other equipment under 25 lbs.
- You should plan on arriving 30 minutes before the start of an event, and expect to stay until the majority of the guests leave (approx. 2 hours total).
- You can volunteer to 1, 5 or all of our events. We host an event at least once every other week once the GMU Academic year starts. Most of our events are held on Monday evenings.
Why should I volunteer?
- Volunteers have the opportunity to get a behind the scenes tour of observatory operations.
- If you volunteer consistently you may be allowed to operate some of the GMU Observatory equipment.
- You will get to meet with real scientists doing research in astronomy and astrophysics.
- Our former volunteers say it was very helpful for them to put on their resume (scientific or not).
- Our events are a great way to spread your love of science/astronomy to the local public!
- You will learn about smaller, closed-to-the-public, events that are hosted throughout the year.
- Some astronomy and other classes will offer extra-credit to our volunteers.