Office: 2414 Exploratory Hall
Telephone: (703) 993-5646
Fall 2019 Office Hours:
Monday & Wednesday 10:30am-12pm
Maction earned his Ph.D. in Environmental Science & Policy at George Mason University in 2011 and obtained M.S. in Geographic Information Science for Development and Environment at Clark University, Worcester, Massachusetts in 2003. His research focuses on geospatial analysis for natural resources conservation and environment, sustainable development, sustainable food systems, Geographic Information Systems, and infectious disease epidemiology.
In his research work, he has collaborated with researchers from various institutions such as the University of Hohenheim Stuttgart in Germany, the International Food Policy Research Institute in DC, and the Government of Uganda. Previously, Dr. Komwa has worked as a consultant with the International Food Policy Research Institute, the World Bank and Adventist Development and Relief Agency (ADRA – International) on various projects related to policy framework for agricultural transformation, commodity value chain, sustainable food security and nutrition, and crop monitoring for early warning using remote sensing techniques, and poverty mapping.
- Geographic Information Science
- Conservation GIS and Planning
- Geographic Perspectives on Sustainability
- Spatial Epidemiology and Disease Ecology
- International Health Policy
- Food Security & Nutrition
- Durairaj, E, Gewa, C., Komwa, M.K., and Pawloski, L. 2017. “Our Turn to Eat:” Shifting Gender Norms and Food Security in the Wakiso District of Uganda. Journal of Hunger and Environmental Nutrition., 00(00), 1–28. https://doi.org/10.1080/19320248.2017.1403407
- Tadesse, K., Qu, J.J., Aguire, A.A., Komwa, M.K., & Maggioni, V. 2017. Land Use Classification and Analysis Using Radar Data Mining in Ethiopia. International Journal of Advanced Remote Sensing and GIS, 6(1) 2006-2022.
- Chillimba D.C., Shano B., Chigowo M.T., and Komwa M.K, (2014). Quality assessment of compost manure produced by smallholder farmers in Malawi. In: Kabambe V, Tembo Y and Ngwira A, eds. Proceedings of the first Integrated Soil Fertility Management Symposium, Lilongwe University of Agriculture and Natural Resources, Bunda Campus, Lilongwe, Malawi. SoHCoM Publication (09), pp. 142.
- Howard, L., Komwa, M.K., Yohane, R., and Jacobsen, K.H. 2011. Household Market Participation and Stunting in Preschool Children in Lilongwe, Malawi. 2011. South African Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 24(4), 202-204.
- Komwa, K., Jacobsen, K.H., and Parker, D.C. 2010. HIV/AIDS-Associated Dietary and Work Beliefs and Practices in the Mayuge District of south-eastern Uganda. Journal of Population, Health & Nutrition, 28(1), 76-85.
- Parker, C., Jacobsen, K.H., and Komwa, M.K. 2009. A Qualitative Study of the Impact of HIV/AIDS on Agricultural Households in south-eastern Uganda. International Journal of Environmental Research & Public Health, 6(8), 2113-2138.