JOB OPPORTUNITY: GIS Records Technician I
POSITION: GIS Records Technician I
OPENING DATE: 08/21/15
SALARY: $25.11 – $40.50 Hourly
CLOSING DATE: 09/04/15 05:00PM
Performs review and organization of utility records information, including; engineering plans, field notations, and inspection documents. Ensures accurate and timely information isavailable for incorporation into the Service Authority’s (SA) Geographic Information System (GIS). Performs geospatlal product creation, data editing and cartographic map production. Provides GIS database population, mapping support and data analysis in accordance with the needs of the SA’s Enterprise Asset Mana~ement (EAM) Program. Project work largely focused on maintaining the records informatton related to the SA’s GIS as well as updating water and sewer network GIS information as needed.
POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES I ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Work with limited supervision to assist with the review, scanning, and organization of engineering project plans and related documents for incorporation into the SA GIS system.
- Coordinate with Engineering, O&M and GIS staff as needed to research records discrepancies
- Create and maintain spatial document Jinks within the SA GIS system.
- Complete detailed reviews of historical engineering plans and field sketches to determine if the GIS system needs correction. Clearly communicate and coordinate corrections to the GIS system with GIS staff.
- Provides GIS analysis, database, GPS, and mapping support.
- Produces detatled map graphics for a diversity of projects using GIS, CAD, and graphic software applications.
- Provides GIS data editing and production.
- Reads and interprets maps and construction drawings.
- Prepares final drafted maps for reproduction, makes copies of maps, plans and other documents.
- Files, scans and maintains maps, plans and other documents.
- Compiles mapping revisions from the Operations and Maintenance Division (O&M), inspections and engineers for map updates.
- May be deemed essential at any time.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
Essential Skills and Experience:
- Ability to: read and understand written map specifications; use coordinate systems; read and understand construction drawings; use printers, copiers, large format scanners and plotters; communicate effectively orally and in writing; multi-task and problem solve effectively under deadlines; work cooperatively with others.
- Knowledge of: GIS software, specifically ArcGIS for Desktop: ArcMap lO.x; ability to perform basic GIS data editing and cartographic map production in a GIS environment; Microsoft
- Windows; computer software related to assignment; English usage, spelling and grammar.
- Associate’s degree in Engineering, Surveying, GIS, Drafting or related field.
- One year of GIS experience operating GIS applications software to develop GIS data, high quality digital and hard copy maps, project graphics or other digital displays.
- Or combination of education and experience as described above.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science degree (BA/BS) in Geography, Information Technology, Surveying or related field.
- Two years of GIS experience operating GIS applications software to develop GIS data, high quality digital and hard copy maps, or other digital displays.
- Experience with ArcGIS for Desktop: ArcMap lO.x.
- Experience with AutoCAD and web-based GIS applications.
- Customizes GIS software programs for data collection, engineering, and related applications.
- Experience with water I wastewater utility industry preferred.
Special Requirements: None
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical demands: The work Is mostly sedentary with periods of light physical activity. Typical positions require workers to walk or stand for short periods; lift and carry up to 20 pounds; climb stairs, bend, reach, hold, grasp and turn objects; and operate computer or typewriter keyboards. The work required the ability to speak clearly and to see and hear clearly with or without correction.
- Work environment: Primary work is performed indoors in a standard office setting. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Work is subject to frequent interruptions
APPUCATIONS MAY BE OBTAINED AND FILED ONUNE AT: http://www. pwcsa .org/
P.O. Box 2266
4 County Complex Court
Woodbridge, VA 22195-2266