For faculty and staff
Best practices, policy and procedures, document templates and governance information. The resources below support our efforts as faculty and staff members in the College of Science at George Mason University.
Promotion & Tenure and Workload Guidelines
Promotion and Tenure Timelines
Statement from the Dean
The promotion and tenure process is one of the most important tasks that we undertake as faculty in an institution of higher education. Over the last two years, the Provost Office and Colleges have collaborated to make our guidelines for renewal, promotion, and tenure accessible online in a detailed format. Internally, I have worked with the Provost and our Department Chairs, who in turn, worked with our faculty, to detail each department’s criteria as follows.
College of Science Documents
- COS Guidelines for PT with Appendices 2018 07 27 (PDF) with
- Comparative Summary of Expectations by Unit (Appendix A) and
- Priorities by Unit (Appendix B)
- Internal Renewal, Promotion, and Tenure Deadlines (PDF)
- Candidate Dossier Compiler’s Guide (PDF)
- College of Science Promotion and Tenure Committee
- College of Science Bylaws (PDF)
- College of Science Workload Guidelines (PDF)
- George Mason University Faculty Handbook (PDF)
- Provost Office Policies
- Recommended Criteria for Evaluating Genuine Excellence in Teaching – Provost Office (PDF)
- Sexual Harassment Prevention Training – Compliance, Diversity, and Ethics Office
Academic Forms & Resources
Faculty Governance and Committees
- New Parent Leave for 9-month Faculty – University Policy
- Transitional Retirement Leave – Overview
Nominate your colleagues for an award
Latest Accolades / Awards
March 20, 2019 / 0 Comments
February 12, 2019 / 0 Comments
Submit Accolades to Teri Fede via email at tfede.
University reward and recognition program
The central university reward and recognition program is administered by Human Resources and Payroll. The program provides resources to motivate and retain our faculty and staff and includes formal and informal recognition opportunities.
Request items such as Thank You cards and stickers, gift cards, or Mason memorabilia to create your own recognition toolkit, and even get ideas for reasons to say thank you.
Recognize your peers
University HR provides DIY FREE resources, like sticky notes, printable templates, and thank you cards, upon request.
Looking for research computing guidance?
Visit the Office of Research Computing website for more information.
The University Libraries is the place to go for help with scholarly research. Want to get access to electronic publications while on travel or at home? The library has a simple interface for finding your publication or resource and providing you with direct access.
- Library Catalogs: The Mason Library Catalog, as well as collaborating collections such as VIVA and WRLC.
- Research Databases: Want to find articles on a given subject, searching large numbers of journals? The University maintains subscriptions to many databases and can get you the results fast.
- E-Journals: OK, you know which journal you want to look at. Come here to get to it quickly. If the Library subscribes to the electronic version, you will be able to get direct access to full-text versions or pdf downloads. (If you somehow get to a publisher’s page that wants you to pay for an article, you probably got there by some route other than the Library website).
- InfoGuides: Subject-specific help written and collated for you by real librarians. Some are created for students in particular courses, some by subject area. There is even one to help you understand and work with the library online system itself.
- Research Portals: University Libraries has embarked on an ambitious program to develop discipline-specific research portals.
While the Library provides resources for getting the research done, the Office of Research is ready to help you get the research grant funded.
- Office of Research Home
- Office of Research Development
- Office of Laboratory Safety Programs & Training
- Office of Research Integrity and Assurance
- Office of Sponsored Programs
- Office of Technology Transfer
Associate Dean for Research
Suite 3200 Exploratory Hall
Staff Representation and Committees
Telework & Flexible Schedule
Templates (Letterhead, Powerpoint, Promotional Materials, etc.)
- COS Powerpoint Template
- Fax (Pages) (Word)
- Letterhead – two color logo (Pages) (Word)
- Letterhead – one color logo (Pages) (Word)
- Memoranda (Pages) (Word)
These linked promotional kits help us bring key upcoming events to the attention of our students.
The College of Science Marketing and Communications Team will add new kits to this link each week: cos.gmu.edu/promokit. Check back often for additional events that you can add to slides before classes, the department TVs and websites, or even to send out via your own social media.