Assistant Professor, Computational and Data Sciences Department
Associate Director, Quantum Materials Center
Primary Research: Computational condensed matter physics (materials science)
Office: 253 Research Hall
Phone: (703) 993-4512
I am a computational condensed matter physics (materials science) researcher that investigates the electronic structure of materials using density functional theory. My primary research focuses on modeling the exchange interactions within magnetic materials, with recent work involving the iron-based superconductors, dilute magnetic semiconductors, and metals with noncollinear magnetism.
More recently, I have started working with machine learning algorithms for materials prediction and discovery. Currently, I am interested in searching for new and novel magnetic materials that could be used in computing technologies for the purposes of energy efficiency, heat reduction, and improving information processing.
Classes offered in Fall 2018
CDS 101 – DL1: Introduction to Computational and Data Sciences
CDS 411 – 001: Modeling and Simulation II
CDS 101: Introduction to Computational and Data Sciences
CDS 102: Introduction to Computational and Data Sciences Lab
- Summer 2018
CDS 411: Modeling and Simulation II
- Fall 2018
- Fall 2017
CSI 702: High-Performance Computing
- Spring 2018
- Spring 2017
- M. A. Surmach, B. J. Chen, Z. Deng, C. Q. Jin, J. K. Glasbrenner, I. I. Mazin, A. Ivanov, and D. S. Inosov, “Weak doping dependence of the antiferromagnetic coupling between nearest-neighbor Mn2+ spins in (Ba1−xKx)(Zn1−yMny)2As2,” Phys. Rev. B 97, 104418 (2018).
- K. Zhao, J. K. Glasbrenner, H. Gretarsson, D. Schmitz, J. Bednarcik, M. Etter, J. P. Sun, R. S. Manna, A. Al-Zein, S. Lafuerza, W. Scherer, J. G. Cheng, and P. Gegenwart, “Collapsed tetragonal phase as a strongly covalent and fully nonmagnetic state: Persistent magnetism with interlayer As–As bond formation in Rh-doped Ca0.8Sr0.2Fe2As2,” Phys. Rev. B 97, 020510 (2018).
- G. Zhang, J. K. Glasbrenner, R. Flint, I. I. Mazin, and R. M. Fernandes, “Double-stage nematic bond ordering above double stripe magnetism: Application to BaTi2Sb2O,” Phys. Rev. B 95, 174402 (2017).
- Daniel Guterding, Harald O. Jeschke, I. I. Mazin, J. K. Glasbrenner, E. Bascones, and Roser Valentí, “Non-trivial role of interlayer cation states in iron-based superconductors,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 118, 017204 (2017).
- J. K. Glasbrenner, “Collapse and control of the MnAu2 spin-spiral state through pressure and doping,” Phys. Rev. B 93, 184402 (2016).
- J. K. Glasbrenner, I. I. Mazin, H. O. Jeschke, P. J. Hirschfeld, R. M. Fernandes and R. Valentí, “Effect of magnetic frustration on nematicity and superconductivity in Fe chalcogenides,” Nat. Phys. 11, 953 (2015).
- J. K. Glasbrenner, K. M. Bussmann, and I. I. Mazin, “Magnetic spiral induced by strong correlations in MnAu2,” Phys. Rev. B 90, 144421 (2014).
- J. K. Glasbrenner, I. Žutić, and I. I. Mazin, “Theory of Mn-doped II-II-V semiconductors,” Phys. Rev. B 90, 140403(R) (2014).
Go to the main People page.