Alumni Profile: Francis Aguisanda, BS Biology ’14

Alum Francis Aguisanda shares fond memories of life as a Mason student in our latest Alumni Profile.

Photo courtesy of Francis Aguisanda.

Photo courtesy of Francis Aguisanda.

Name: Francis Aguisanda

Mason Degree: BS, Biology 2014

Occupation: Research fellow at the National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences at the National Institutes of Health (NIH)

I chose Mason for my Bachelor’s because of…the wealth of diversity among its students. Additionally, I was impressed by Mason’s growing commitment to supporting undergraduate research.

My favorite Mason memory is…the entire 2012 election season. It was so much fun participating in the political process with such energized college students.

In my future career, I’d like to…undertake stem cell research full-time as a research scientist, and use discoveries made in the laboratory to develop therapeutics that physicians can take directly into the clinic.

I advise current students to…perform undergraduate research! Whether you’re thinking of graduate school, medical school, or entering the workforce, having meaningful research experiences will do nothing but significantly boost your resume. But, most of all, enjoy your time in college–take fun classes, meet new people, and get out of your comfort zone!

Connect with me on LinkedIn!

More from the COS interview with Francis Aguisanda

What’s next for you after completing your fellowship?
I will be starting my PhD in Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine at Stanford University this fall.

As a member of the COS Alumni Chapter, what are some of your goals for the College?
My immediate goal is to see an increase in our membership and to heighten our presence to new graduates of COS! Our alumni chapter is a great way to stay involved with Mason and to give back to current students.

What’s an interesting fact about you?
I’m a military brat – I lived in Japan for six years growing up, which was a really great experience. I’ve also started taking improv classes that I hope to continue when I get to graduate school!