Alumni Profile: David Amarasinghe, BS Mathematics ’08

Alum David Amarasinghe shares fond memories of life as a Mason student in our latest Alumni Profile.

Photo courtesy of David Amarasinghe.

Photo courtesy of David Amarasinghe.

Name: David Amarasinghe

Mason Degree: BS, Mathematics 2008

Occupation: Kaplan MCAT instructor

I chose Mason for my Bachelor’s because…two of my older sisters graduated from Mason with majors in Foreign Language. I also loved visiting the area growing up and was really impressed by what had changed when I came to visit for orientation.

My favorite Mason memory is…dorm life. Most of us still stay in touch. The community we made in our dorms is a huge part of my interest in becoming a member of the COS alumni chapter.

Professionally, I’m most proud of…my students’ success and the historical and anecdotal connections I have drawn across the sciences for my students. Their expressions of comprehension (and sometimes wonder) are incredibly satisfying.

I advise current students to…maintain contact with classmates, stay involved in college-related groups like the COS alumni chapter, and join online groups on Facebook or LinkedIn. Participate instead of being a wallflower. It can be very difficult to rebuild those connections if you lose contact.

Connect with me on LinkedIn!

More from the COS interview with David Amarasinghe

What is your favorite Mason memory?
Honestly, dorm life holds my favorite memories. I entered the dorm when I transferred to Mason. In my second semester, I got a room on the first floor of Brunswick in the University Commons. My roommate and I introduced ourselves to each of our new floormates. The dorm housed 26 students; 17 of them remained on our floor for the next 2 years.

As a member of the COS Alumni Chapter, how do you stay involved with current students?
The chapter is involved in several events open to current students, usually during the week. As I live in Virginia Beach, it is difficult for me to attend most of these events. I generally attend our weekend meetings and events. So far those have not involved current students. I look forward to working with current students at future events.

What’s an interesting fact about you?
I reconnected with Mason during a STEM talk. I have since been very interested in educational connections between disciplines, reaching further to include history and etymology as well. I have incorporated this into several lectures and the results have been very promising.