Alumni Profile: Vicky Hansen, BS Chemistry ’15

Alumna Vicky Hansen discusses her future goals in our latest Alumni Profile.

Photo courtesy of Vicky Hansen.

Photo courtesy of Vicky Hansen.

Name: Vicky Hansen

Mason Degree: BS, Chemistry 2015

Occupation: Quality Control Chemist at Emergent BioSolutions

I chose Mason for my Bachelor’s because…I have a background in chemical engineering from my native country, Colombia, and I was able to transfer my credits to Mason to pursue my degree. Mason has cultural diversity among its students and I thought it was a great fit to continue my education.

My favorite Mason memory is…Alumni Weekend 2015. It was my first time attending since I recently graduated. I realized that graduation was not the end of Mason life, but the beginning of a new chapter with many opportunities to be involved as an alumni.

Professionally, I’m most proud of…being a Latin woman in the science field. It has been a long journey to earn my degree and I am looking forward to using chemistry to motivate future generations of women to get involved in science while improving their quality of life.

I advise current students to…be pro-active and to always keep looking for new volunteer and internship opportunities. I think students would also benefit from having a mentor in their field, joining organizations, and attending networking events to learn from professionals.

Connect with me on LinkedIn!

More from the COS interview with Vicky Hansen

Are you currently involved in any career-related organizations?
I’m currently involved with the Association for Women in Science (AWIS), the Chemical Society of Washington (CSW), the American Chemical Society’s (ACS) DC Chapter, and the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE.) It is a great opportunity to learn and networking for professional development.

As a member of the COS Alumni Chapter, how do you stay involved with current students?
Being a member of the COS Alumni Chapter has been an excellent opportunity to stay involved with students, recent graduates, and professionals. As a COS alumni member, I have participated in on-campus events, such as Mason’s online networking events. It is an excellent opportunity to connect with students and alumni to share experiences, career advice and build a professional network.

What tips do you have for current undergrad and graduate students?
I encourage students to be pro-active and to always keep looking for new volunteer and internship opportunities. Students would also benefit from having a mentor in their field, joining organizations, and attending networking events to learn from professionals. Students should be passionate and advise others because they can also learn from your experiences. After all, we are a Mason family.

What’s an interesting fact about you?
I enjoy volunteering in the President’s Park Greenhouse at Mason, and assisting with hydroponic growing systems. I recently joined a volunteer program to teach kids science experiments in the D.C. metro area schools.